Tuesday, September 1, 2009

BBQ Chicken

I tried out our new crock pot yesterday. The meal....BBQ Pulled Chicken. It was yummy! Jen, you said you wanted the recipe....there is no recipe! :o) But I'll tell you what I did.

Get chicken breasts - the kind that still have the bones in them. I found some at Meijer's that had been halved already.
Then pick any kind of BBQ sauce that you like. I bought a smokey, brown sugar kind. You'll want 2 bottles.

I cleaned the fat off the chicken. I was only able to fit three of the four breasts in my crock pot. I then put about 1/4 of the BBQ sauce bottle in on top of the chicken. Just made sure it covered them. Turn crock pot on Low and put the top on. :o)
I turned the chicken after about 3 hours. After about 4 to 4.5 hours I checked and it was cooked to I took out the chicken and cleaned the crock pot out. (Just dumped out the liquid and wiped it out)
I then shredded the chicken - it came right off the bone and put it back into the crock pot. I then put in a bottle of BBQ sauce and a 1/2 cup of water. (I put in water because the sauce was sooo thick and I thought the chicken was a little dry)


I thought it would take longer than 4 - 4.5 hours to cook. So, I put our in the fridge and then heated it back up for about 45 min on low in the crock pot. Or if you were ready to eat it right away I'd say just heat it for about 15 - 25 min. We had ours on rolls and it was really yummy!! I also kept tasting it when checking to see if it was hot when reheating and I kept thinking it was dry....but when we had dinner it wasn't dry at all.

Also, it makes a TON! Between us we had 3 big sandwiches, I put some away for Erin's lunch today and my dinner later on this week AND still put enough for maybe two meals in the freezer!

It was really easy and really yummy! Try it Jen!! :o)

2 comments:

Sweet Little Lovings said...

YUMMY! I will have to try it! :o)

Sara said...

we are going to use some left overs and make a BBQ chicken pizza! I'll let you know how that goes and you can try it too. :o)

Post a Comment